The second phase of the Re-Entry Draft has just taken place, and the results are in. Former Chivas USA defender Danny Califf was selected first overall by Toronto FC, meaning there are two fan bases (Chivas, Philadelphia Union) who will be upset that he's not playing for them in 2013. TFC can now negotiate with Califf for a new contract, with more flexible terms (meaning he will most likely take a pay cut).
The other three Chivas USA players in the mix, Juan Pablo Angel, Peter Vagenas, and Alejandro Moreno, were not selected today, and are now officially free agents. They can still potentially negotiate with Chivas USA to return, but they can also negotiate with any club in the league.
Meanwhile, Chivas USA did not select any players in the Re-Entry draft. They made a trade with the LA Galaxy just before the draft today, with the Galaxy taking Chivas' second overall pick in exchange for the Galaxy's 19th overall pick, a 2013 international roster spot, and the Galaxy's first round Supplemental Draft pick. With the Goats trading down, it seemed pretty clear that they weren't using the Re-Entry draft to select MLS veterans this year.
Here is the full list of players selected today:
1. Toronto FC - Danny Califf
2. LA Galaxy - Colin Clark
4. New England Revolution - Chad Barrett
5. Philadelphia Union - Conor Casey
6. Colorado Rapids - Eric Avila
7. FC Dallas - Stephen Keel
10. Vancouver Whitecaps - Paulo Jr.
12. Real Salt Lake - Lovel Palmer
15. San Jose Earthquakes - Dan Gargan
17. D.C. United - John Thorrington
2. LA Galaxy - Will Hesmer
3. New England Revolution - Hunter Freeman
9. San Jose Earthquakes - Ty Harden
3. San Jose Earthquakes - Bryan Jordan
What do you think? Leave a comment below!