clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Rumored LAFC targets Chicharito, Fabregas reportedly remain open to MLS move

New, 6 comments

Nothing definitive, but links continue to hover around LAFC.

Mexico v United States: 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup Qualifier Photo by Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images

The European transfer window may be closed, but who are we kidding — transfer news is constantly on deck. In that vein comes two recent reports concerning players linked to MLS expansion side Los Angeles Football Club last year.

Paul Tenorio reports in FourFourTwo USA on Monday that Javier “Chicharito” Hernandez remains a hot commodity in MLS circles, with most teams in the league interested in adding him, even if the actual number of teams that can afford him — Tenorio puts out a $50 million estimated investment in Chicharito over the life of a contract — will be fewer than the full 23-team compliment.

While the competition is fierce, Tenorio specifically name-checks LAFC in his story: “two sources think LAFC will ultimately sign him, perhaps this summer before loaning him out ahead of the 2018 season.”

Despite that, there is the qualifier in the above quote that two sources “think” Chicharito will join LAFC, which is not exactly firm ground when it comes to transfer rumors. Add to that the speculation that the Mexican international will opt to stay in Europe if he departs Bayer Leverkusen in the next 18 months, and while he’s emerging as a top target for LAFC, we’re still in wait-and-see mode on this rumor.

In other news, another player rumored to be in consideration from LAFC in Chelsea midfielder Cesc Fabregas said in a recent interview that he’s looking to move stateside.

"Once I don't think I can play in Europe, my plan at the moment is to go to the [United] States,” he told journalist Natacha Tannous in a video interview released last week.

"But you never know," he added, leaving the door open for a possible move to China instead of the U.S.

Fabregas, 29, is on track to win the English Premier League for the second time in three seasons with Chelsea this year, but he’s not a core member of new coach Antonio Conte’s lineup. Having started playing as a professional as a 16-year-old, that sunset on his time in Europe could come sooner than later — perhaps as soon as 2018 if things fall into place.

Of course, there are no guarantees that Chicharito or Fabregas will come to LAFC at this point. But both players appear willing to listen to offers, and with LAFC expected to spend lavishly on a star player or two for 2018, the conditions might be right for CONCACAF’s biggest star and/or a World Cup winner to join the black-and-gold. Stay tuned.

What do you think? Leave a comment below!