A day after the horrific attacks in Barcelona, and with La Liga starting its season this weekend, Spanish football has planned its tribute to those affected. All games will take place, including Barcelona’s home game on Sunday against Real Betis. Barcelona will wear black armbands during the match and all matches will start with a moment of silence. Ligue 1 and the Bundesliga will also hold a minute of silence.
We at Angels on Parade send our hearts, our prayers and condolences to all those affected in the attacks in Barcelona on Thursday.
Liverpool have rejected yet another offer from Barcelona for star midfielder Philippe Coutinho. Barcelona have reportedly offered £114m for the player, only to see it turned down, just as their offer for £90m last week was rejected. Coutinho has missed the past two games for Liverpool with what we are told is a back injury, and Liverpool and Fenway Sports Group made a public statement that Coutinho is not available for sale at any price. So far, that seems to be true, but it also begs the question of what will happen this season, as the player has already handed in a transfer request.
Speaking of transfer sagas, in the summer of players’ relationships with their clubs going south, Diego Costa’s is another which does not seem to be going anywhere. He has said he wants to go to one place, Atletico Madrid, but remains at Chelsea because Atleti has a transfer ban until January. He has been out of favor with Antonio Conte for months, and has made it perfectly clear how unhappy he is in London now. He also yesterday said that he feels he is being treated “like a criminal,“ which Antonio Conte literally could not stop laughing at when a reporter asked him about it in a press conference. Yikes.
The LA Galaxy’s newest star Jonathan Dos Santos has shot down reports that he was close to signing with Mexican club Club America. He did confirm there were talks with America, but said a deal was never imminent. These quotes via ESPN: "Not even close," he said. "Yes it is true that there was conversation, but just the normal talk. I never used America [to get a better deal] as was said. The Galaxy offer was, if not 100 percent, it was 98 percent made that I would sign with them. But I am grateful for all the faith everyone had in me. In the end, what most caught my attention was the Galaxy project."
Juventus have officially acquired midfielder Blaise Matuidi from Paris Saint-Germain for €20 million in initial payments, with bonuses based on appearances that could reach up to an additional €10.5 million. The 30-year-old midfielder made 400 appearances in Ligue 1 and won a total of 16 domestic trophies with PSG. He was also named the French Player of the Year in 2015 and was named to the Ligue 1 team of the year twice. He is essentially the replacement for Mario Lemina, who was sold to Southampton, and joins a midfield of Miralem Pjanic, Sami Khedira, Claudio Marchisio, Rodrigo Bentacur, and Stefano Sturaro.
What do you think? Leave a comment below!