Getting ready for the 2018 Los Angeles Football Club season? Yeah, we are too. We’re gearing up for the expansion team’s campaign with a look at each of the players who have been officially added for the season. Today we look at defender Laurent Ciman.
How LAFC acquired him: LAFC picked up Ciman in a trade on Dec. 12, 2017 with the Montreal Impact for Jukka Raitala and Raheem Edwards, the fourth and fifth selections in the 2017 MLS Expansion Draft.
Previous pro playing experience:
Montreal Impact (2015-17)
- Started 85 games for the Impact since joining in 2015; scored four goals in all competitions with the club
- Scored a goal against D.C. United in the 2016-17 MLS Cup playoffs; 8 total MLS Cup Playoffs appearances
- 6 CONCACAF Champions League appearances; Helped lead the team to the CONCACAF Champions League final in 2015
- 8 Canadian Championship appearances, 1 goal
- Was named MLS Defender of the Year in 2015; MLS Best XI selection in 2015; MLS All-Star in 2015, 2016
Standard Liege (2010-15)
- 152 Belgian First Division A appearances, 6 goals
- 13 Belgian Cup appearances
- 4 UEFA Champions League appearances
- 18 Europa League appearances; Helped lead the team to the last 16 of the 2011-12 Europa League
- Titles: Beker van Belgie (Belgian Cup) in 2011
KV Kortrijk (2009-10)
- Played in 34 Belgian First Division A games, 2 goals
- Made 4 Belgian Cup appearances
RSC Charleroi (2004-08)
- Started 74 league games for RSC
- Led the team to the semifinals of the Beker van Belgie in 2006
International: Belgium (2010-Present)
- Started 14 games for the Red Devils
- Most recently played against Mexico in a 3-3 friendly draw and in a 4-0 win against Cyprus in World Cup qualification
- Scored a goal in a 3-2 win against Norway on June 6, 2015 in an international friendly
Ciman was the General of the Impact defence since his arrival in 2015. His well-timed tackles, vocal and passionate playing style will quickly turn him into a fan favorite. Ciman like joining the attack on occasion and likes trying to create opportunities. Last season he seemed to be making a few more errors than usual and had a disappointing season. While his play was slightly on the decline in the 2017 season he seems motivated to bounce back this year. ~ Emily Santella, Mount Royal Soccer
How will he feature for LAFC in 2018?
First, Ciman has a ton of experience in Europe. This will prove invaluable for Bob Bradley and the entire team. It is likely Ciman will have a starting role with the club from the start. Coupling his international, European and even domestic success with Montreal Impact, Ciman should be a locker room leader as well as have a strong presence on the field. His strength in playing in the center and that is likely where Bradley will feature the Belgian international. Ciman has proven to be very tenacious with his slide tackling and his marking on defense. His move to Los Angeles was plagued with reports Ciman was “shocked” by the move, but there has been no indication that the shock was directed at LAFC … more toward Montreal.
Check out his highlight reel, courtesy of Major League Soccer:
- Has two children – Nina and Achille
- Is pretty active on Twitter (@LaurentCiman23)
- Both he and his wife Diana were initially critical of Montreal Impact when he joined the team to find care for his autistic daughter Nina. His wife was interviewed by a Belgian newspaper (Het Laatste Nieuws) where she said the club “abandoned” Nina. But the family appears to have since come around
What do you think? Post your comment below!