Los Angeles Football Club added another rumored signing officially, announcing on Monday the transfer of midfielder Mark-Anthony Kaye from USL defending champion Louisville City FC. Terms of the move were not disclosed.
“Mark-Anthony is a promising young player with great potential and versatility,” said LAFC EVP of Soccer Operations and General Manager John Thorrington. “We look forward to integrating him into the group as we believe he can become a significant contributor to our team immediately.”
Kaye joins after two years with Louisville City. Playing under regarded head coach James O’Connor, he made 39 appearances in two years for the club, scoring five goals and four assists, and helped the team to their first silverware last season.
Before moving to Kentucky, Kaye played for Toronto FC II in their inaugural season in USL in 2015, and prior to that, for the Wilmington Hammerheads when they played in USL.
“We’re obviously really pleased that Mark-Anthony has been able to get this opportunity,” said O’Connor in a LCFC statement. “He’s worked very hard throughout his time here and I think it’s important that we thank him for all his efforts. He’s a great young man and is someone we hope goes on to have a long and successful career in MLS.”
The Toronto native is also a Canadian international, having debuted for his country last year and made five appearances to date at senior level, including two appearances in the CONCACAF Gold Cup last year, where Canada had their best showing in a decade.
The 23-year-old is an unknown quantity in terms of MLS, having never played at this level, but with midfield being the biggest need for the roster at this stage he may have a decent chance of getting playing time in LAFC’s inaugural season.
The signing also brings LAFC’s official roster to 18, with the roster compliance deadline on March 1. There will be plenty of signings in the meantime.
What do you think? Leave a comment below!