How LAFC acquired him: Signed as a free agent on Jan. 2, 2018.
Position(s): Left back; Left wingback
Previous pro playing experience:
Vancouver Whitecaps FC (2011-17):
- 179 MLS regular season appearances (169 starts), 10 goals, 9 assists
- 12 Canadian Championship appearances (10 starts)
- 4 CONCACAF Champions League appearances (all starts)
- Title: 2015 Canadian Championship
Philadelphia Union (2010-11):
- 46 MLS regular season appearances (45 starts), 1 goal, 2 assists
Colorado Rapids (2006-09)
- 45 MLS regular season appearances (42 starts), 1 assist
Seattle Sounders (2006, loan)
- 12 USL first division appearances, 1 goal
International: U.S. U-17 (2 caps), U.S. U-20 (1 cap)
Jordan Harvey is a high-energy left wingback who has no problem flying up the pitch in support of the offense, whether carrying the ball or occasionally poking home a cross In fact, he’s made a career of it since 2006, though “career” is the choice word here as he’ll undoubtedly be challenged by youth in the starting lineup (looking at you, Joao Moutinho).
Nevertheless, Harvey is a leader on the pitch and in the community, exemplified by the well-deserved accolades he earned during his time with the Vancouver Whitecaps: team awards such as the Humanitarian of the Year (2013), the Jock McDonald Unsung Hero Award (2015), and the fan-voted BMO Player of the Year (2016), as well as presently being the Whitecaps’ all-time leader in MLS starts, appearances, and minutes played. The guy is just as active on social media, both Twtter and Instagram, often posting his day-in-the-life-of-a-pro-soccer-player style posts. ~ Ian Jones, Eighty Six Forever
How will he feature for LAFC in 2018?
Harvey should likely be penciled in as the starter heading into the season, although given his age and miles, the rookie Moutinho could very well beat him out if he takes to a left back role quickly at the pro level. Having said that, even with his age Harvey has remained very healthy throughout his career, and has never played fewer than 24 games in a league campaign for almost a decade, so his consistency and durability is a big plus. On top of that, the Southern California native has a penchant for making a late run and getting involved in the scoring when he was with the Whitecaps, and his two-way play and experience means he will most likely get a significant role with LAFC this year.
Here’s a documentary of Harvey, his wife and daughter produced by the Whitecaps in 2016
- As the above video shows, Harvey’s wife is former American Idol contestant and TV presenter Kimberly Caldwell. They have a daughter, Harlow
- Plays guitar
- Was named Gatorade Boys Soccer National Player of the Year in 2002
- From Mission Viejo, played club soccer for Strikers FC and played collegiate soccer at UCLA
What do you think? Leave a comment below!