clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Draw at High Noon: LAFC 1, FC Dallas 1

Chances go begging as LAFC settle for first-ever tie.

MLS: FC Dallas at Los Angeles FC Gary A. Vasquez-USA TODAY Sports

Los Angeles Football Club marked another first on Saturday, notching their first-ever draw after battling to a 1-1 stalemate against FC Dallas at Banc of California Stadium.

The midday game, in sweltering Los Angeles, featured a barrel of scoring chances by the hosts that went begging. Despite controlling the run of play throughout, LAFC were unable to put the game away after taking a lead, and it came back to haunt them as they lost two points.

LAFC got the scoring started in the 9th minute, as Diego Rossi and Carlos Vela carved through Dallas’ defense with a quick one-two in passing, before Rossi sent a ball between the defense to Steven Beitashour, who was making a striker’s run, latched onto the ball, and sent it through Jimmy Maurer’s legs to make it 1-0 for the home side.

A few minutes later, Laurent Ciman maintained the lead with a goal line clearance, after Santiago Mosquera blew by Walker Zimmerman and chipped the ball over Tyler Miller.

They had plenty of chances from there, and as the game wore on, the volume of good looks, including a blast over the bar by Mark-Anthony Kaye, another a few minutes later by Rossi, and then substitute Omar Gaber having a breakaway with only Maurer to beat trickling wide kept the door open for Dallas.

The visiting side obliged, as Maxi Urruti scored a predictably Urruti goal in the 55th minute, taking a feed from Mosquera at the top of the box, dribbling laterally, and hitting a shot into the bottom corner to tie up the game.

Lee Nguyen made his debut for LAFC in the 74th minute, coming off the bench to offer another creative option for the side. He had an outstanding entry pass a few minutes after the second water break of the game due to the heat, but his throughball could not be converted into a goal in spite of the play to put Dallas’ defense off for a split second.

In second-half stoppage time, Vela had an outstanding individual effort, fought off a defender to spin and get a shot off, but his blazing shot went on the wrong side of the post and LAFC had to settle for a draw.

LAFC have short rest before their next game, as they’ll host Minnesota United FC on Wednesday. It’s the first meeting between the teams, and while the Loons are not mooted as a strong team, they’re on a two-game winning streak and seem to be figuring things out. At the same time, LAFC will have to like their chances against the midwestern side. Coming up soon!

What do you think? Leave a comment below!