clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Stalemate: LAFC 1, New England Revolution 1

A back-and-forth affair ends in shared points at home.

MLS: New England Revolution at Los Angeles FC Gary A. Vasquez-USA TODAY Sports

Los Angeles Football Club extended their unbeaten streak to five games on Saturday night, drawing with the New England Revolution in a 1-1 back-and-forth match at Banc of California Stadium

The entire match had a back-and-forth flow to it from the beginning, as Diego Fagundez found plenty of space early on. Despite having room to work with in the first half, the forward was unable to make his mark on the scoresheet.

LAFC had their own chance around the 19th minute, when Marco Ureña got a pass from Carlos Vela as he was running past the center circle. Ureña managed to get behind Andrew Farrell to go one-on-one with Antonio Mlinar Delamea as he approached the penalty box. Delamea, however, was able to put pressure on Ureña’s right-hand side, and while the Costa Rican got a shot off just outside the six-yard box, it pulled to the left and never bothered New England’s Brad Knighton.

The action picked up especially towards the end of the first half, when it quickly became the Brad Knighton show. The Revs’ keeper came up with a couple of clutch saves on both Diego Rossi and Ureña in the final minutes of the first, keeping LAFC off the scoresheet. The former came in the 43rd when Rossi timed his run perfectly to break past Andrew Farrell on the left side of the pitch, and as he shot to the far post, Knighton made himself as big as possible and kept the shot out. Ureña had a chance three minutes later where he tried to squeeze a goal past Knighton, but to no avail, and LAFC went into the locker room scoreless.

LAFC kept on the front foot at the start of the second half, with a chance in the center of the box coming to Lee Nguyen, who had said that it would be sweet to score against his former side. Unfortunately for the midfielder, it was not meant to be, as he scuffed his shot and was kept out of goal.

Just minutes later, LAFC broke the deadlock with a goal that can be only described as chaotic. Rossi whiffed on a shot from the center of the box, and while Vela collected it, he tried to dribble around the defense and lost the ball. The ball trickled out to Rossi just a couple yards back, and he slotted it to Ureña on the left side of the box. Ureña took his shot, and it went into the back of Knighton’s net for the Costa Rican’s first league goal of the season.

While LAFC kept their feet on the pedal, New England was able to grow into the game. Vela and Christian Ramirez, who came in for Nguyen, both had side volleys that came just around the box, but went just over the bar. Around the 77th minute, after Ramirez barely missed the dagger, the Revs forced Tyler Miller into a series of three saves in the span of four minutes. The fourth attempt, however, ended in a New England equalizer, as Teal Bunbury sent a cross into the box from the right side, and Brandon Bye rose above the LAFC defense for a cracking header goal.

The game, appropriately for the action that had taken place, ended with great chances for both teams. New England’s Cristian Penilla had a shot that went past Tyler Miller in the 90th minute but rattled off the far post, and Benny Feilhaber won a free kick just outside the far right side of the box to give LAFC one last shot. Vela whipped in a cross and Danilo Silva got his head to it inside the six-yard box, but steered it just off frame. That was all she wrote, and LAFC walk out of the weekend with one point.

This draw keeps LAFC in third place in the crowded Western Conference. The Black-and-Gold sit two points ahead of Real Salt Lake in fourth, and sit three points back of FC Dallas in second. LAFC’s next round of action is playing host to the San Jose Earthquakes, who sit at the bottom of the West with 20 points.

What do you think? Leave a comment below!