Los Angeles Football Club announced on Wednesday they have re-signed defenders Danilo Silva and Dejan Jakovic for the 2019 season.
Silva, 32, joined LAFC in the summer transfer window last year on loan from Brazilian club Internacional. Reunited with Bob Bradley, who coached him briefly at MetroStars, the Brazilian had spent most of the intervening time with Dynamo Kyiv in Ukraine, and essentially took over as the starter alongside Walker Zimmerman when Laurent Ciman departed later in the season. All told, he made 11 appearances last year for LAFC.
Silva’s return had been rumored earlier this month, and social media posts from the player indicated it was likely he would return.
Jakovic, 33, was a key backup for LAFC last season. The Canadian was pressed into service immediately for the black-and-gold, playing in the season opener on short notice when Zimmerman got hurt. He played 17 games total across all competitions for the club. We argued in our season review that Jakovic played pretty well considering the muted expectations coming into 2018 for him.
“Re-signing Danilo and Dejan was always part of our offseason plan, and we’re excited that both players will be returning in 2019,” said General Manager and EVP of Soccer Operations John Thorrington in a statement. “Danilo and Dejan add veteran leadership and experience to the group, and we’re confident they will both contribute to the success of our club.”
Both players’ contract options were declined after last season, and while the release does not offer details, it appears Silva is signed outright, no longer on loan, and I would guess Jakovic will be on a cheaper deal than last season.
These signings, coupled with Walker Zimmerman’s re-signing announced on Tuesday, plus the acquisition of Colombian defender Eddie Segura on loan, likely comprises LAFC’s center back corps for 2019, which could possibly also include Tristan Blackmon.
What do you think? Leave a comment below!