It’s contagious, apparently. First Diego Rossi, then Eduard Atuesta, and now Francisco Ginella have scored winning goals for their countries in the South American Olympic qualifying tournament.
Ginella’s came on Tuesday, for Uruguay in their 1-0 victory over Peru. The midfielder hit a sharp wormburner in the 11th minute, and that’s all they needed to get the win.
Ginella, a newcomer to Los Angeles Football Club this year, was joined in Uruguay’s lineup by new club teammate Diego Rossi, who started and played 74 minutes (Ginella was subbed out in the 71st minute). The win puts Uruguay in second place in their group, but they are out of games in the group stage with one matchday left, meaning they’ll need help from the three teams below them, all just three points back with a game to play, to qualify for the next round of the tournament.
More news for your Wednesday:
- Kit leak? Todo Sobre Camisetas tends to have the hookup in terms of new kits, and they dropped a load of MLS jersey leaks Wednesday morning. Among them, an image of a new LAFC primary kit, although caveat caveat, it’s apparently a women’s replica.
Sporting Kansas City away y LAFC home (Women's replica) pic.twitter.com/XHRQMqkjDu— Todo Sobre Camisetas (@EleteTSC) January 29, 2020
- Given that whatever invisible sublimated pattern or whatever that makes the price go up to $130 for an authentic isn’t on here, but the big change is that the YouTube TV logo looks like it will be gold. The people spoke, and the club and designers listened. Good job, folks.
- Video recap from Peñarol friendly: Since it wasn’t televised, if you didn’t get to go to LAFC’s preseason opener against Peñarol last Saturday and are feasting on scraps, here’s a video recap of the night, including the two goals.
“To play in @BancStadium and know the @LAFC3252 will be there for the first time in 2020, it’s special."— LAFC (@LAFC) January 29, 2020
Back at The Banc. Relive our match against the legendary @OficialCAP. #LAFC #Peñarol2020 pic.twitter.com/BvPF3CZCkG
- USWNT open Olympic qualifying with win: The U.S. Women’s National Team opened Concacaf Olympic qualifying on Tuesday, with a 4-0 win over Haiti. The win was both comprehensive and misleading, between Haiti having an olimpico goal incorrectly chalked off early on and the U.S. not quite convincing against overmatched opposition. It was Vlatko Andonovski’s first competitive game in charge, and a win at this point is what matters.
- Magic talks LAFC, Kobe: Magic Johnson was on Jimmy Kimmel, and while he understandably talked mostly about Kobe Bryant and basketball, he did take a moment to talk about LAFC and the team going for the championship.
Today’s question: Early doors, but what do you think of the leaked LAFC kit? Let’s chat in the comments below!