Diego Rossi set up a goal as Uruguay kept their hopes of advancing to the 2020 Tokyo Olympics alive with a 1-1 draw against Brazil in South American Olympic qualifying on Thursday.
Rossi went the full 90 in the game, while his new Los Angeles Football Club teammate, Francisco Ginella, did not feature for Uruguay.
That result means there’s a three-team race to figure out the final qualification spot out of South America, after Argentina defeated Colombia 2-1 on Thursday. Eduard Atuesta and Eddie Segura both played the full 90 for Colombia in the loss.
Argentina have booked their spot in Tokyo this summer, so Brazil (2 points) hold a slight lead over Uruguay (1 point) and Colombia (1 point) with one match to play. If Uruguay or Colombia beat each other in their final match, and Brazil fails to beat Argentina, then the winning team could book the final spot for the Olympics. That crucial last game comes Sunday.
More news for your Friday:
- LAFC draw Dallas in preseason: LAFC played FC Dallas to a 2-2 draw on Thursday at The Banc. Read more about it here.
- Colin Hanks, bantzmaster: Some outsiders joked about actor Colin Hanks being LAFC’s celebrity representative at the leaguewide jersey launch in New York on Wednesday. But Hanks is a genuine fan of LAFC, regularly attends matches and was slinging banter all week to rep the black-and-gold.
- I absolutely love that Hanks, probably intentionally, mimics Bob Bradley’s body language when dropping that line to Sebi Salazar, the guy who Bob told to “Get lost!” last year. Absolutely fitting.
- LAFC’s most important player is...In his latest column, MLSsoccer.com’s Matt Doyle picks the most important player for every team. The LAFC one is pretty obvious, but a decent read to get a sense of the rest of the league, too.
- MLS jersey rankings: New LAFC blog The Bancnote recently launched (congrats!) and here’s another interesting list, ranking the new MLS jerseys. What do you make of their rankings? (My non-LAFC faves? Minnesota United, New York Red Bulls and FC Dallas).
Today’s question: Among the new jerseys around the league, which ones strike your fancy? Which do you hate? Let’s talk jerseys, want to hear your hot fashion lewk takes, in the comments below!