Carlos Vela started the 2020 MLS season in fantastic fashion, with a beautiful goal to beat Inter Miami CF 1-0 on Sunday at The Banc. His exploits earned him a spot on the MLS Team of the Week, alongside Los Angeles Football Club goalkeeper Kenneth Vermeer in the XI, with defender Eddie Segura making it on the bench.
In addition, Vela was nominated for MLS Goal of the Week. You can vote for the winner until midnight on Wednesday night. Do it, do it!
More news for Tuesday:
- LAFC remain No. 2 in Power Rankings: Only the Sounders are above the black-and-gold, which is not a surprise considering how the respective games went, after Jordan Morris went HAM on the Chicago Fire on Sunday.
- Supporters get bantz on with Beckham: Before Sunday’s game, Inter Miami co-owner David Beckham, one of the most famous people in the entire world, probably wanted a few minutes in peace, to reflect on the long road it took his club to reach their first game, to enjoy the silence of an empty stadium. Then The 3252 gave him some top-level banter.
- Credit to Beckham, he’s a good sport here, and his body language in taking the ribbing was terrific.
- LAFC owners buy half of Vincent Tan’s stake: This was a story I watched last week for details, but they really didn’t come beyond the basics. Bloomberg first reported LAFC’s co-owners bought out Tan’s stake, with the club valuation coming at $700 million as a result. Reportedly half of Tan’s 20% stake was bought out, but who exactly bought it, stuff like that hasn’t emerged, and the reports suggest they won’t.
- Mandalorian tifo goes over big: I’ll be honest, I’m not a Star Wars fan and was therefore ignorant regarding LAFC’s tifo on Sunday being based on the hit show “The Mandalorian”. That’s on me. But not only did the tifo go over big, Star Wars itself was impressed and gave an endorsement of the display.
This IS the way. We have spoken.— Star Wars (@starwars) March 2, 2020
Today’s question: Let’s make this open-ended — what are you thinking about today? Let’s chat in the comments below!