clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

LAFC rally from 2-goal deficit to tie Revolution in preseason clash

Rossi scores at the death in tune-up game.

Tigres UANL v Los Angeles FC: Final - 2020 CONCACAF Champions League Photo by Alex Menendez/Getty Images

LAFC conceded twice just after halftime, but clawed back two goals of their own to draw the New England Revolution 2-2 at Banc of California Stadium on Saturday.

It was LAFC’s first public-ish preseason game against a new opponent this year, and with only one more scheduled, a good tune-up ahead of the season opener in two weeks.

LAFC’s starting XI was effectively a full-strength group. Pablo Sisniega started in goal, Corey Baird the forward up top with Carlos Vela and Diego Rossi, and Jose Cifuentes in for Mark-Anthony Kaye, who was not on the matchday squad for this game.

New England’s XI was also essentially first-choice at the start.

LAFC tested New England early and often in the first half, but Revs goalkeeper Matt Turner was up for the challenge, the teams finishing the first stanza scoreless.

The goals came right after the break, with New England’s Gustavo Bou scoring in the 46th minute and Adam Buksa adding a second three minutes later.

At the hour mark, Kim Moon-hwan entered the game for Jesus David Murillo, with Tristan Blackmon moving over to the center of defense. Danny Musovski entered for Baird, and Francisco Ginella joined in place of Cifuentes.

LAFC got on the board in the 63rd minute, when Eduard Atuesta scored on a header from a Blackmon feed.

A miscue in the back by Kim led to a backpass that Sisniega had to handle under duress. That led to an indirect free kick in LAFC’s box, but New England could not convert on the chance.

LAFC scored again a few minutes later, but it was called back for an offside call on the buildup.

In the 76th minute, there were more LAFC changes. Kenneth Vermeer replaced Sisniega, Tony Leone replaced Blackmon, Bryce Duke entered for Latif Blessing, Mahala Opoku took over for Vela, and Marco Farfan replaced Diego Palacios.

A handball on New England led to an LAFC penalty in the 81st minute, but Rossi’s spot kick was saved by Turner to preserve New England’s lead.

But Rossi made up for his penalty save in stoppage time, as he scored the equalizer to make it 2-2.

So it was a pretty wild 2nd half, but good for LAFC to fight back in their first (public) preseason test, against a New England side that’s been playing more preseason games so far.

We’ll have more coverage coming out of the game, as we expect to hear from Bob Bradley and perhaps some players after the game. Obviously preseason results count for nothing, but a nice runout nevertheless for LAFC.

What do you think? Leave a comment below.