clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Tough ending: Orange County SC 3, LA Galaxy II 4

405 Derby loss ends with bitter taste in OCSC’s mouths.

Courtesy of Orange County SC

Orange County SC didn’t make it easy and their valiant comeback turned out to be wasted, as a late winner from LA Galaxy II led to a 4-3 loss on Saturday at Championship Soccer Stadium in the 405 Derby.

Orange County came back from 2-0 and 3-1 to make it 3-3 in the second half, but seemed to run out of gas after tying up the game and could not hold back the feisty Galaxy II side in the end, as OCSC lost their second game of the season.

Braeden Cloutier went with a familiar XI on the night for Orange County SC.

It was a nightmare start for OCSC, as a miscue in the back led to Preston Judd scoring for Galaxy II in the 5th minute.

The visitors doubled their lead in the 14th minute through defender Josh Drack, and it was a nightmare start for Orange County.

Thomas Enevoldsen was forced out of the game in just the 25th minute, with Brian Iloski replacing him for the home side.

And OCSC pulled one back in the 33rd minute through Chris Wehan, scoring his second goal in as many games.

But LA got a penalty and converted it in the 39th minute, to extend their lead again, to 3-1. That was the scoreline at halftime, with Orange County with their work cut out for them to try and overcome the rough start to the match.

Orange County kept the ball pinned in LA’s end to open the second half, with a great ball over the top by Iloski leading to a scissor attempt by Mikko Kuningas in the 53rd minute that forced a save from LA goalkeeper Justin Vom Steeg, as the hosts pushed to fully get back into the game.

OCSC got their second goal in the 58th minute, as Eero Markkanen tapped in the shot at the far post after a big buildup and a couple chances prior to the goal.

They then tied up the game in the 67th minute, with Kuningas hitting a looping cross from about 35 yards, and it trickled through the box and left Vom Steeg rooted to the ground as the ball went in the net.

But LA got a grasp back on the game after Orange County’s equalizer and the home side needed to take care of business in the back to at least keep a draw alive.

They nearly conceded in the 84th minute, when LA substitute Jonathan Perez smashed a shot that bounced off OCSC GK Patrick Rakovsky and clanged off the crossbar before floating away. Another sub, Sebastian Nava, scored for LA in the 88th minute to win the game, remarkably.

So this was a guy punch result for Orange County, who played so well to tie up the game in the 2nd half but really seemed like they didn’t have the gas to see out the game. It’s disappointing to see the team score three and still lose, and I’m sure they’ll be very unhappy with the result.

Orange County are next scheduled to be in action next Saturday, when they’ll have a quick rematch against Sacramento Republic, this time up in Sacramento.

What do you think? Leave a comment below.